The Gentle Man Next Door is a Rabbit - 84

 

TGMNDIAR - 84 | If-line (3)



Bedroom


"!" Xu Mu was startled as he entered the room.


A small black mound rose up beside the bed, with a faint light flickering intermittently, like a ghost fire.


"Niannian, you didn't even turn on the light," he muttered. "Auntie said you were reading; this isn't good for your eyes, you know?"


As Xu Mu spoke, he turned on the floating lamp beside the bed.


The room instantly brightened.


"Oh right, Auntie asked me to bring you a cup of mango juice." Xu Mu bent down, placed the cup down, and was about to lift the "little mound."


Bai Nian suddenly poked his head out from under the blanket, staring at Xu Mu with a strange expression.


Xu Mu's heart skipped a beat under that gaze. "What's wrong? Why are you looking at me like that?"


Bai Nian beckoned him over.


Xu Mu was suspicious. "What's up with you? You're acting weird."


Despite his words, his body honestly crawled under the blanket, squeezing into Bai Nian's spot.


The summer heat was stifling, the air heavy, and the indoor cooler was working hard to pump out cold air. Their pajamas were cool and loose-fitting shorts and short-sleeved shirts.


Xu Mu and Bai Nian's calves were pressed against each other, Xu Mu's arm habitually draped over Bai Nian's waist.


Bai Nian bent his knees, nudging Xu Mu a few times with his toes. "Aren't you hot? If we stay this close, we'll definitely start sweating."


Xu Mu lowered the temperature, and the sound of the air vent grew louder.


"No, see, it's nice and cool."


He grabbed Bai Nian's hand and added, "Your hand is so warm."


Bai Nian replied irritably, "It's your skin that's cold."


He is a snake, that's just his nature.


Xu Mu said, "I won't be hot soon. I cool down quickly, and with the fan blowing, I'll turn into an ice block."


Bai Nian didn’t know whether to laugh or cry, "Go away, what are you talking about? That's too unlucky."


He paused for a moment, then changed the topic, "But, in the summer, your scales really are comfortable, cool and smooth."


Xu Mu raised an eyebrow, "Really? Do you want me to change into my mimicry and cover your hands?"


He leaned his head back, "I'm much more generous than you; you can hug my mimicry as you like."


Bai Nian gave him a sideways glance, annoyed and embarrassed, "I'm not like you. When you hug someone else's mimicry, you can't keep your hands to yourself; you have to..."


His cheeks warmed, and he twisted Xu Mu's ear, "Next time, don't randomly rub my ears and tail. And don't bite me like a pervert, treating me like a gummy bear."


"Lop-eared rabbits are cute, and they feel nice to touch. I'd love to hug one for a lifetime." Xu Mu straightforwardly rested his head on Bai Nian's thigh, the softness just right, making him squint comfortably, "Hey, where are your ears and tail?"


Obviously, Xu Mu had let his previous words go in one ear and out the other.


Hug for a lifetime... what nonsense...


Bai Nian's heart inexplicably skipped a beat, and he started pinching Xu Mu's cheeks.


Xu Mu intentionally yelped in pain, putting on a show.


Bai Nian: "..."


He gave a light hum, said nothing, and then his furry ears and tail actually appeared.


Xu Mu tackled him, rolling them both around in the blanket for a few rounds, then took the opportunity to rub his ears and touch his tail.


Bai Nian, caught off guard and having his weak spots grabbed, tried to resist, but his waist was held tightly and he was unable to move.


Xu Mu skillfully tickled him, making Bai Nian laugh uncontrollably.


When they were both exhausted, Xu Mu lay on top of Bai Nian, resting his head on his shoulder.


Suddenly, he smacked his lips, "Nian, you shed a lot in the summer, huh..."


Bai Nian froze for a moment, then his ears perked up and slapped against Xu Mu's face, swaying back and forth.


With a gentle smile, he asked, "Am I losing hair?"


"..." Xu Mu felt a pang of unease. He looked at the ceiling, then at the walls. "What? I can't hear you. What's going on? Oh, my ears aren't good, my throat isn't good either..."


Bai Nian, amused, reached out and vigorously rubbed his cheeks.


Xu Mu didn't resist, his face getting squished into a duckbill shape, mumbling, "If you keep rubbing, my face is doomed..."


Bai Nian: "I’ll rub it into a round dumpling then, since you like to eat them."


Xu Mu: "I can't eat myself, can I?"


Bai Nian: "I think you can. I'll stuff it with your favorite red bean paste."


Xu Mu: "... No, make it matcha flavor since you like that. I'll let you eat it."


Bai Nian: "You won't eat it? You always complain that matcha is a bit bitter."


Xu Mu: "I can eat it, as long as it's not too bitter."


In their private little space, the two boys chatted nonsense without any inhibitions.


Though both were not particularly talkative or lively outside, when they were alone together, they always had endless things to say and jokes to share.


They were in the prime of their youth, full of vitality.


Suddenly, Bai Nian fell silent, staring intently at Xu Mu.


Xu Mu blinked, hesitantly asking, "What's wrong?"


"I want to ask you something. Answer me seriously."


"Sure, go ahead," Xu Mu responded confidently.


Bai Nian smoothed Xu Mu's bangs, his pale fingers brushing over his forehead, tapping lightly a few times.


Xu Mu's heart fluttered along with the touch.


"I searched for information on the half-mimicry states of snakes. There seem to be several types. Generally, large snakes can transform into a half-human, half-snake form, while smaller snakes, like you, have skin that transforms into scales..."


Bai Nian leaned in closer and whispered, "Show me, okay?"


Xu Mu: "..."


His face turned red in an instant.


"W-what?" he stammered. "What do you want to see?"


Bai Nian moved even closer, his breath hitting Xu Mu's nose.


"Your half-mimicry state, scaly skin sounds so interesting."


Xu Mu fell silent, his face growing redder by the second, resembling a monkey's butt.


Bai Nian looked at him in wonder, "Why are you blushing?"


Xu Mu took a deep breath, just about to speak, when he choked on his own saliva.


What a mess.


Bai Nian said, "Hey, I just want to see your half-mimicry state. It's not like I'm asking you to take off your clothes."


"... There's no difference..." Xu Mu mumbled.


Bai Nian paused, suddenly recalling what the online information said—


When snakes are in their half-mimicry state, they reveal parts that are usually hidden...


"No one wants to see your two things!" Bai Nian exclaimed.


Xu Mu: "... Isn't that what half-mimicry is for?"


Bai Nian was both embarrassed and annoyed. "You don't have a snake tail. I just want to see your scale skin. Do you understand? Am I a pervert, why would I want to see that thing of yours?"


After saying this, he still felt unsatisfied. "What's the big deal about having two anyway?"


Xu Mu rubbed his nose. "I thought—"


"Stop thinking," Bai Nian pushed at his chest but couldn't push him. Despite looking thin, Xu Mu stood solidly like a statue.


"Alright, my bad." Xu Mu exhaled. "You really want to see my scales? I think they look ugly, like a green monster."


"It's your half-mimicry state. How does that make you a monster?"


"It's just an example. It can be basically summarized in one word, ugly."


Bai Nian nudged his shoulder. "I don't think so. It looks pretty cool. Come on, let me see."


"Really?"


"Do you think I'm joking?"


"Promise you won't laugh at me."


"I won't laugh. I'll even praise you."


"You haven't even seen it yet, and you're already saying it's cool..." Xu Mu reluctantly got up, muttering, "You’re just trying to coax me."


Bai Nian laughed. "Stop talking and hurry up."


Xu Mu sighed. "Alright then." With that, he started to take off his clothes.


Bai Nian was stunned and quickly stopped him. "Wait, why are you taking off your clothes?"


"Didn't you want to see my scales?" Xu Mu said, "The scales on my lower abdomen are more pronounced. Oh, there are some on my arms and legs too, but the scales aren't as obvious."


"Just lift your shirt, no need to undress," Bai Nian said, shifting his gaze awkwardly.


"Alright."


Xu Mu had no objections. He scratched his head and soon, the smooth skin on his body began to display layers of pale green scales, overlapping and clustering together.


First, they appeared on the back of his hands and arms, then on his calves and feet. His black pupils subtly turned vertical, glinting with a cold light, and a hint of green spread around his temples, giving him a somewhat eerie look.


"I won't transform the area around my face. It's too ugly," Xu Mu said.


"It’s not ugly, very cool," Bai Nian said earnestly, his eyes sincere. "I don't know how to describe it, but it's definitely cool."


"...Really?" Xu Mu turned his face away, but a small smile tugged at his lips.


Bai Nian not only looked but also reached out to touch the scales.


"They're soft," he said, feeling them carefully. "A bit cool, and very smooth."


Xu Mu made a sound of acknowledgement, then grabbed Bai Nian's hand and placed it on his lower abdomen. "The scales here are more pronounced and have patterns."


Bai Nian's fingers stiffened and curled slightly in response.


"Aren't they?" Xu Mu asked.


Bai Nian quickly patted the area twice, his eyes briefly glancing over, and responded with a series of "uh-huhs."


Xu Mu laughed and leaned in, seeking praise. "If you don't find it ugly, next time you transform your ears and tail for me to play with, I'll transform my scales to cool your hands. It's especially refreshing in summer, and it would be comfortable for us to cuddle."


"Oh..." Bai Nian's gaze lingered on Xu Mu's lower abdomen. "Is it only partial? What about your whole body?"


"The whole body too, but it's too ugly. You better not look at it." Xu Mu hesitated. "But if you really want to, I can."


"Not my face though," he added.


Bai Nian said, "No need then. This is fine, it’s just right."


Xu Mu smiled. "Really?"


"Yeah."


"Then you can touch it," Xu Mu said generously.


Bai Nian's eyelashes fluttered as he withdrew his hand and softly said, "No."


"Why?" Xu Mu was dissatisfied.


Just a moment ago, he had been hesitant to reveal his half-mimicry state, and now he was acting all high and mighty, insisting on turning the tables.


Bai Nian propped himself up on the edge of the bed, his legs hanging over the carpet, and casually remarked, "You have no abdominal muscles, just a bunch of flesh, it’s nothing interesting."


Xu Mu: "..."


Feeling indignant, Xu Mu grabbed him back, but didn't control his strength. Bai Nian lost his balance, his hand instinctively reaching back to support himself—


"Hiss!" Xu Mu's scalp tingled, his brows knitting into a tight knot.


At the same time, Bai Nian's mother's voice came from outside the room.


"Ah Mu, Niannian, dinner's ready."


Xu Mu curled up in pain, while Bai Nian, flustered, stammered, "I'm sorry, I, I, I'm sorry..." 


He then replied to his mother at the door, "Okay, we'll be right down."


After Bai Nian's mother walked away, he finally raised his voice.


"How are you? Do you need me to... I'll look for a medical robot, or maybe we should go to the hospital! What if something's wrong, I, I..." Bai Nian was so anxious he was practically running in circles, his hands waving frantically in the air.


Xu Mu stared lifelessly at the ceiling, weakly saying, "No need... I'm fine..."


Bai Nian hesitated, unsure if he should look more closely. "Really?"


Xu Mu buried his face in the pillow, mumbling a muffled, "Mm-hmm."


The pillowcase had a faint, familiar fragrance. Instinctively, he sniffed deeply. Ah, it was the scent that often lingered on Bai Nian.


Bai Nian was still worried. "Why don't you check it? It's a significant matter. If something's wrong, you'll have two problems."


Xu Mu propped himself up, wiped his face, and gritted his teeth. "I'm fine!"


Bai Nian: "…Alright."


Still concerned, he added, "Don't push yourself too hard."


Xu Mu stood up. "I'm not pushing myself. I'm hungry. Auntie called us for dinner, right?"


He answered his own question. "Right, let's go now."


Bai Nian kept glancing back, his eyes fixed on the area that needed attention.


Xu Mu: "..."


He pounced, fiercely covering Bai Nian's eyes. "Stop looking, I'm fine!"


Bai Nian, embarrassed, mumbled, "I'm just worried about you."


He then grasped Xu Mu's hand, speaking earnestly. "Don't be afraid to look for a doctor. If something's wrong, tell me."


After a moment's thought, he added, "Don't worry, if something really happens, I'll take responsibility for the rest of my life."


Xu Mu forced a smile. "How? Are you going to be my wife?"


Bai Nian froze. "Me?"


Realizing his slip, Xu Mu quickly backtracked. "Uh, no, I was joking... Just talking nonsense, don't take it seriously."


An inexplicable emotion welled up inside him. Bai Nian…as his wife?


Xu Mu dared not dwell on it and quickly walked out of the room.


Meanwhile, Bai Nian, still lost in thought, felt as though his feet were rooted to the floor.


‘...Are you going to be my wife?’


It was meant as a joke.


But strangely, that sentence kept echoing in his mind.


No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't shake it off!




Note: Bai Nian accidentally hit Xu Mu’s two birds, in case you couldn’t tell





Post a Comment

0 Comments

Contact Form